Wednesday 26 August 2009

Ascension of Polka Dots on Trees

Some evenings when the weather is fine I walk along the Thames after work. It gives me time to clear my head, daydream and most importantly look at the pretty polka dot trees. They are so enchanting and childlike; I cannot get enough of them at the moment.

These trees are part of an art project by Yayoi Kusama called ‘Ascension of Polka Dots on Trees’. Kusama started getting hallucinations as a child and all she could see were polka dots covering the walls, objects around her and her body. Literally everything she could see was covered in spots. Like Minnie Mouse, Kusama’s trademark is polka dots. She covers objects, peoples and trees in different coloured polka dots as a reflection of how she sees the world around her.

I think this artwork is delightful and incredibly charming. Who feels sad or grumpy with polka dots around them?

1 comment:

  1. omg no way! The trees are too cool. I wish I could see them.

    LT @ elle-tea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete