Tuesday 20 October 2009

Frieze


The Frieze Art Fair is such a mammoth event. Artsy folk from all corners of the globe descend on London to attend the most prominent contemporary art fair in Europe. My Sunday was spent battling the crowds, gazing at art, becoming completely overwhelmed and disorientated, needing numerous breaks and forgetting what I had seen / what I hadn’t seen (I swear it all looked the same towards the end).

Eventually I headed home, everything seemed like a blur, and I had the worst art headache ever (worse then my trip to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa). But somehow I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I feel really inspired by the world of contemporary art around me.

My favourite pieces from the day were….

Grayson Perry’s embroided quilt (I didn’t capture any names of artworks whilst I was there – ooops sorry). I don’t really care what people say about that dress wearing oddball. I think Grayson Perry is great. I love the crafty feeling to his artworks, but he is totally obscene at the same time. I find his work really fascinating to look at. His works are so detailed, they are a sensory delight.


David Shrigley’s screen prints were also really awesome. I mainly liked these because there was a huge print of a black and white skull. I love skulls and David Shrigley is also really funny so this was a perfect combo.

I am not too sure who the artist was of this piece… But there was a pile of large molar sculptures in the corner of one of the gallery spaces. I really liked this piece because it reminds me of my friend Hariet in New York. She made this amazing little tooth pot in ceramics class and I was really impressed by it.


There was this also great piece of art which was made up of old bits of jewellery. It was like a pirates delight! It looked like a glitzy and shiny treasure chest mounted to the wall. The magpie in me couldn’t keep away.


The most amazing artwork was Andreas Gursley’s ‘James Bond Island II’. This is possibly the most beautiful photograph I have seen in a very long time. It felt really still and calming to look at. That is an awesome feat given the fact that I was standing in the midst of an art viewing feeding frenzy...


And here are more snapshots of other great artworks from Frieze. Thanks to the lovely Katrin for taking pictures. She is a far better photographer then me!



4 comments:

  1. Interesting.... lol some of these artworks are so creepy, I lvoe the last picture though =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these pieces look so amazing and unique! Looks like a great time!

    xoxo

    colormenana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma. I just wanted to say thank you for visiting my blog and for leaving a supportive comment. It really means a lot to me. It was hurtful and upsetting because what they said was quite nasty, but you can't let that get you down. Thanks for your understanding and encouragement.

    I also really like the first picture of you :) I hope you're having a good week.

    All the best,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was so much fun ! the paintings are just so great and arty . haha . i wish some time i can go to an art gallery :D have a nice weekend dear !

    ReplyDelete