Friday 6 November 2009

Iceland

Sorry that I have not made any posts over the last week. I have just returned from my holiday to Iceland. It was really wonderful and I had an incredible time. It really sucks being back at work. Sigh.

I stayed in Reykjavik (the capital of Iceland). Reykjavik is surrounded by snow-topped mountains and has a gorgeous harbour. There is also this great main street which has lovely shops (Kron shoes!) and tasty little cafes. All the houses are also painted bright colours so it was a treat just to walk around and soak up the amazing vibe of the city.

The boyfriend and I also spent some time at the Blue Lagoons (geothermal hot pools outside of the city). They were so amazing and relaxing. When it is 0 degrees outside you really look forward to soaking in hot water. The Blue Lagoons were probably my favourite part of the holiday. When you are approaching the lagoons, all you can see is steam billowing from the pools. It looks like you are approaching hell. They are quite remarkable.



We also went on a day trip to the Golden Circle where we visited Thingvellir, Gullfoss, and some Geysers.

Thingvellir is this really pretty national park where the American and European tectonic plates meet. It is also where the vikings initially set up parliament when they arrived in Iceland. It was really breathtaking.



Gullfoss is this huge waterfall and it was also an amazing sight. However since it was freezing cold, the spray from the waterfall was really unpleasant and it was quite icy. I was paranoid I was going to slip and fall into the waterfall.

The geysers were also quite cool however coming from New Zealand where the geysers are a bit more impressive, this was not really the highlight of my day trip. The little geyser was really cute though!

Hope you enjoy some of my holiday snaps. Sorry that I look like a crazy bag lady in most of the pictures! It was so cold that I resorted to wearing too many layers to try warm up. I love my pink nose in almost every picture. Hehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment