Tuesday 22 September 2009

Birthday Present

Last night I saw the Veils play. They are not my favourite band, but we have the kiwi connection and there is an unspoken rule that you support your fellow compatriots in London. So along I went and supported. Besides – my company for the night was swooning over Finn (the lead singer) and I drag her all over the place so it was time for her to drag me somewhere for a change.

I did quite a bit of thinking and daydreaming whilst I was watching them play. The Veils made me reminisce about the beginning of 2007. It was a strange point in my life. I call it the limbo period. I was packing up my Auckland life and planning for my new London one. I had let my hair down and was being quite reckless and carefree. I knew my time in Auckland was limited and it was going to be a while until I saw my friends again so we had loads of fun, drank quite a bit, and partied across town.

The reason I mention this is because I have an amazing group of friends in Auckland whom I think about everyday. On my 20th birthday they all chipped in and bought me this Karen Walker tee-shirt which has a dancing sausage and ‘Gabba Gabba Hey’ written across the top of it (I was a Ramones fanatic at the time). I haven’t worn this top for a very long time but last night I decided I would wear it out. It is probably the oldest item that remains in my wardrobe and it is definitely one of the most special pieces of clothing I own. So this blog is a shout out to all my wonderful Auckland buddies. I miss you all heaps and thanks for the rad tee-shirt on my 20th birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment